Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Embracing the Uncomfortable

I am not a morning person. 

In fact, I am the last person you want to talk to in the morning. That is, until I've had my coffee. Waking up when it's still dark out isn't fun. The only thing I really like getting up early for are deer, fish, and planes. 

But this semester there's a new reason: school. I have the honor of teaching and assisting in a 1st grade classroom at Julia de Burgos Bilingual Elementary School in the heart of Philadelphia twice a week. In all honesty, when I found out I was placed in the School District of Philadelphia I was less than thrilled. I immediately began to think about traffic, driving, my dislike towards cities in general, the differences between me and my students, and pretty much every other negative thing you could think there is.

My first day did not go as I had hoped. I was pouring, dark, gloomy, and stressful. That was just the 2 hour commute to the school. Once I was in the room, I felt at home. But after that commute I began to think about everything that could go wrong throughout my time in Philly. However, this morning was a different story. 

I woke up a little late and thought to myself, "Great, it's only day 2.". 

During my drive, my attitude began to change. It started with seeing the sunrise, something that I had not experienced on my first day. The sky was full of cotton candy clouds as the sun made it's appearance. I thought, "Wow! THIS is what I get to see twice a week!". 

Notice the word get. God transformed my spirit of negativity into one that recognizes the blessings in the midst of change and new experiences. 

As I reached the outskirts of Philadelphia, I felt my heart begin to change - a stirring in my soul. A phrase popped into my head that has been on repeat the entire day. 

I feel like I'm going to grow to love this city.

Now, if you know me at all then you know that I don't like cities. I don't like the traffic, the congestion, everything being so fast paced and close together. I like my fields and back roads and wild animals. But I still felt this stirring and then an indescribable joy take over. 

I feel like I'm going to grow to love this city. 

I walked through the doors of Julia de Burgos Bilingual Elementary School with a new attitude. One of love, joy, compassion, and peace. I greeted the students, watched them unpack their backpacks, and saw a new generation rising up to change the world. It doesn't matter if they are from downtown Philly or the cornfields of Lancaster. They are sons and daughters, brothers and sisters, mothers, fathers, businessmen, teachers, pastors, counselors, secretaries, office workers; they are world changers and they are full of potential. 

My heart has already grown to love this city so much, and I thank God for making me uncomfortable. It's through our discomfort that we are stretched, and it's through being stretched that we grow. 

Allow God to make you uncomfortable. Don't remain stagnant because you're scared of what might happen. Instead, be excited for what could happen. 

Much love + blessings, 

xoxo Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment