Wednesday, May 3, 2017

He Said "Go"



People ask me a lot why I like paper airplanes and why I have a tattoo of one. Well here it is kids. It's story time.

I have the coolest parents who love Jesus more than anyone I know. Their hearts for people and our Father are SO great. God called them to reach people, just like He calls all of us. But for them it was special. From the first moment I can remember, I was taught to serve. 

My earliest memories are from Florida because when I was 2 years old, my dad took a giant step of faith and moved our whole family to Pensacola. God told him to go into ministry and attend Brownsville Revival School of Ministry. I don't remember much other than our tire swing in our giant tree out back, lighting fireworks in the driveway, riding my bike with my brother and our friends, hopping the fence to go to the neighbor's, and Missionettes. What's Missionettes? Picture the Girl Scouts, except we were taught about serving, honoring, and glorifying our Lord. However, my proudest memory is standing in the kitchen with my mom while Craig ate cereal out of his green bowl with a straw and giving my life to Jesus at 5 years old.

Because of my parents' faithfulness and dedication to serving Jesus, I grew up knowing who Jesus was, what He did for me, and loving Him for it. When I was just a little girl who still loved pink and pig-tails, I went on my first missions trip with my parents. I may not remember it, but I can guarantee that I am who I am now because of that experience. 

Every minute of every day of my life, I've been taught to serve. I've been taught to honor. I've been taught to show grace and to forgive. Every day I have been taught to show Jesus to those who don't know Him, and every day I learn more and more of what that looks like. 

I was heartbroken when my parents wouldn't let me go to England with my brother on a missions trip. I even wrote them a letter explaining why I should go. 12 year old Becky wanted nothing more than to travel and serve Jesus. I am thankful that they wouldn't let me go because it lit a fire in me that has yet to fade. A fire and a passion to see the wonder of God's creation and to spread His love among the nations. 

Little did I know at 12 years old that I was born into a missions-centered family and that God put that fire in me for a reason. I grew up watching my parents travel, watching my brother travel, and traveling with them to follow the great commission. My greatest memories, moments, summers, and adventures involved hopping in a van or plane or car and traveling to nearby cities and distant lands to do what I was created to do. Serve Jesus. 

Just for fun, here's a list. 

2009: one week in Philadelphia
2010: one week in Philadelphia
2011: one week in Haiti
2012: two weeks in Honduras
2013: five weeks traveling PA + NY with Holy Hands (One18)
2014: one week in Honduras
2015: seven weeks in Honduras

7 years. 7 trips. 18 weeks.

2016 was a rough year for me. I had such an itch to jump on a plane and fly off to the place God had for me next. I committed to going to Romania, but that trip was canceled not long after it was announced. I had options and I prayed. I asked God to show me where to go next and told him that all I wanted in life was to follow the path He had for me. What He told me has stayed with me since. 

He said, "Go somewhere you don't want to go to do what I have created you to do."

Now, this has a few significant parts. Isn't it funny how God knows EXACTLY what will get your attention because of multiple prayers you've prayed? 

"Do what I have created you to do."

I talk to God a lot when I'm in the car. That's where I spend most of my Jesus time. We had a conversation about a year and a half ago about what He wanted me to do. At that time, I had a few semesters of school left and was looking for what direction He wanted me to go. I knew I was called to work with kids, but I didn't know in what capacity. That day He told me. "You are created to teach kids about Jesus."

"Go somewhere you don't want to go..."

I have a list. It's a long list. It's a list of all of the places I want to go, all the places I want to see, all the places I wouldn't hesitate to travel. There were countries I didn't have any interest in, never crossed my mind, or just plain didn't want to see. So when God told me somewhere I didn't want to go, I was surprised that I didn't hesitate. I said, "Okay, God. Use me. Stretch me." I knew exactly where he was talking about.

I have had less than 0% interest in going to Africa. One of the options I had was to go to Zimbabwe to help in an orphanage and go to schools and put on assemblies. I had instant peace when God answered the way He did because I knew what He meant. I was called to go to Africa. Or so I thought. 

I was more excited than I had been for any other trip. I started fundraising right away. God provided in some amazing ways, right down to getting my airfare money in THE DAY IT WAS DUE. My heart was so full and I was so ready to get on that plane. I was broken when the trip fell through only a few hundred dollars short of my overall cost. I thought He called me to go to Africa, but it turns out He called me to trust Him in ways I had forgotten were possible. I learned to rely on Him when all seems lost, to pray bold prayers, and to bravely follow Him.

These are lessons I keep close to my heart every day. God has called me to a life of missions. He has called me to a life of serving Him, loving kids, and bravely following him. 

Bravely following God's call all over the world to teach kids about Jesus. 

So really, the paper airplane is only a part of the story.

Much love + blessings,

Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment